Saturday 8 November 2014

Last time

Last week a friend and I visited the Fylde Angling underground boat store which was open to the public for one last time before being filled in as part of the new sea defences.


There were quite a few underground areas around this part of the coast and this was initially an underground car park.


It was a must see and a last see trip to view what will now be a piece of history.


It has been flooded a few times and was dark and dingy but definitely atmospheric.


The tractors which pull the angling boats out to see are going to be re-housed in a brand new building.


The area was vast.


These boats will never be stored here again.



Many other people came to view.


At one end there was an escape hatch to the surface.


Back out again into the daylight we meandered over to the Art Deco club building.


This building used to be used as changing huts for bathers.


The new boathouse will be attached sometime in the future.


Around the walls of the club house were pictures of boats which have been wrecked off the coast and outside can be seen the remains of one of these nearly submerged in the sand.


Bye bye - soon there will be a brand new coastal promenade here.


Here are more pics from a YT video.


xx

PS My computer is going back to hospital as it's still not right so I'm postponing the 'Virtual Party' until further notice as I don't know when I'll be getting the machine back. More crocheting to do I think. I'll probably get my blanket finished in record time!

M - you asked if you could follow this blog by email and I've managed to put a 'Follow this blog' gadget in the side bar which should enable you to do so. Welcome.



7 comments:

  1. That's interesting. I didn't know there was such a thing as an underground boat store.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just love the club house .. and a great colour too ... what an interesting day out .. I hope you had cake too!

    Vicky x

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is an interesting place, I didn't know boats were stored underground. I have been watching an interesting programme on TV about underground places, have you seen it?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I found this so interesting Mum.
    I lived within a couple of miles of this for several years and did not know it even existed.
    Thank you for posting this.
    Love from Pam in TX.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's a little sad that you'll be losing a unique feature..but I guess sea defences are pretty important too!
    Jane x
    PS Aaaaaaargh I'd forgotten about the party!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. first time I have ever seen anything like this, it was very interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The photos are great. M and L also went to have a look and brought back some nice photos. I didn't go because I'd just got back from having the 1st of 3 injections in my eye and wasn't feeling up to it.
    Carolx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments. it's always exciting reading them.