Tuesday 15 November 2011

Dishcloth dilemma

You don't see them often in homes magazines. I wonder why?

Note to self - must clean the sink!
Wipe with it once and it's wet. Where do you put the wet dishcloth? On the side? Screwed up?


Hanging over the tap? Where do you put the wet floor cloth? Hanging over a bucket?


Where do you put the current tea towel? Folded neatly on the side?


Hanging over the radiator? Do you use it to dry your hands as well as the dishes? What do you do when it's wet and stained? Get a new one out? I can go through as many as 3 or 4 towels in a day. Do you put the dirty, wet ones straight in the laundry bin or hang them over the side of the bin?


How do you hide or not hide these items?

Dishcloth Ditty
All together now! (... to the tune of 'What shall we do with the drunken sailor'.)

What shall we do with the dirty dishcloths?
What shall we do with the dirty dishcloths?
What shall we do with the dirty dishcloths?
Where on earth d'you put them?

Chorus:
Yucky ducky doo. It's a dirty dishcloth.
Yucky ducky doo. It's a dirty dishcloth.
Yucky ducky doo. It's a dirty dishcloth.
Where 'm I going to put it?

Fold 'em neatly and put 'em on the sink side. (3 times)
That is what you do with them.
Chorus:

Rinse and shake and hang 'em on the tap. (3 times)
That is what you do with them.
Chorus:

Let them dry on the radiator. (3 times)
That is what you do with them.
Chorus:

Sling them in the cupboard and deal with them later. (3 times)
That is what you do with them.
Chorus:

Use 'em once then soak them in a bucket. (3 times)
That is what you do with them.
Chorus:

That's what we do with dirty dishcloths.
That's what we do with dirty dishcloths. 
That's what we do with dirty dishcloths.
At least I think that's what you do!



10 comments:

  1. Hi Mum
    I will never be able to look at a dishcloth in the same way again!! And that song will swim in my head while I do the cleaning.
    I use a lot of cloths and tea towels in the day. After use, my cloths go straight into the washer and at the end of the day get a soak in bleach, a quick hand wash and put on a rack to dry overnight. I use a clean tea towel for each dry up. I have a pretty hand towel on a rail and it gets changed every day
    Looking at it in writing..am I OCD?
    Love and Hugs
    Debbie x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really needed to log in and find this, this morning, thanks for he laugh.

    I screw it up and leave on the sink
    I screw it up and leave on the sink
    I screw it up and leave on the sink
    Unless it is dirteeee

    Then I bleach it in a bucket
    Then I bleach it in a bucket
    Then I bleach it in a bucket
    Until it is shineeee

    Then I remember I didn't wash the saucepan
    Then I remember I didn't wash the saucepan
    Then I remember I didn't wash the saucepan
    And leave the kitchen in a huuuuuuuuff

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL I knit my own these days and rinse and squeeze them out and hang them on the edge to dry(a little)Wash the sink with a sprinkling of bicarb and get a clean tea towel every morning....never ever ever in your long-legged life put anything wet into the laundry basket!!!

    Oh what fun we do have!
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. There are a number of things you never see in a home magazine and this is certainly one of them, along with: televisions, washing machines, toothbrushes, computers, telephones, ironing boards and irons. I have a typically male attitude towards dish cloths - on the side, screwed up (I know) and use them til they smell. Oh no, now I am going to have to change my ways since I have publicly admitted to such bad habits.
    Dan

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wet dish cloth - over the tap.
    Wet floor cloth - hanging on a nail inside the passage, outside the back door.
    Tea towel - draped over the door under the sink. I only towel dry cutlery, all the rest drip dries on the draining board.
    Seperate hand towel - hanging on cupboard door handle next to the sink.

    ReplyDelete
  6. HeHe, lovely ditty!
    Dishcloth, folded next to tap, floor cloth hanging over bucket, tea towel hanging on cooker, hand towel also hanging on cooker, (often confused with teatowel by helpful guests - then what do you do?!) Love it...Sue x

    ReplyDelete
  7. The wet dish cloth is either screwed up at the side of the sink or hung over the tap. The wet floor cloth is either slung in a bucket or hung over the side of the bucket. The wet tea towel is hung on the rail in front of the oven to dry off then slung in the laundry basket. I'm going to knit myself some nice dishcloths, it'll make a change having something nice to wash up with.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ours just sit on the edge of the sink and tea towels lurk until I put a towel wash on. I keep meaning to make a bag to put the dirty ones in so they can hang somewhere out of the way but not got round to it yet! x

    ReplyDelete
  9. No floor cloth here. I keep a Spontex microfibre cloth in the sink to mop up spills on the counters. Another is used as a dish-cloth which is spread over the wash-up bowl under the sink when finished. The tea towel is on a loop hanging from the cabinet door handle. It is never used to wipe crockery or cutlery, it all drains dry.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments. it's always exciting reading them.