Friday 4 November 2011

Chocolate Drizzle Traybake

'If I can help somebody as I go along, then my living shall not be in vain.' Enjoy.

The recipe was taken from Country Living magazine
July 2007.


Cake
- 75g cocoa
- 3/4 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 4 medium eggs
 - 370g light muscovado sugar
 - 180ml groundnut oil
 - 200g self-raising flour, sifted

Icing
 - 150g dark chocolate (about 50 per cent cocoa), broken into pieces
 - 2tbsp golden syrup
2 tbsp whipping cream
 - 100g Toblerone, finely sliced
75g undyed glace cherries, halved

1. Whisk the cocoa with 200ml boiling water, followed by the bicarbonate of soda and leave to cool for about 20 minutes. Heat the oven to 180 degrees C (160 degrees C fan oven). Butter or oil a 23cm x 30cm x 4cm traybake tin.
2. Whisk together the eggs, sugar and oil in a large bowl, then stir in the flour, followed by the cocoa solution. Pour the mixture into the prepared tin and bake for 30 - 40 minutes until risen and firm. A skewer inserted into the centre should come out clean. Run a knife around the edge of the cake and leave it to cool in the tin.
3. Gently melt the chocolate with the golden syrup and cream in a bowl set over a pan with a little simmering water in it, whisking until the mixture is glossy and smooth. (I melted it in the microwave.)
Drizzle this over the cake. Scatter over the Toblerone slices, arrange the cherries here and there, and leave for a couple of hours to set. Cut the cake into squares to serve. This will keep well in an airtight container for several days. (It didn't last that long!)

Makes 15 - 20 squares

We went to a 'real' Tea Party yesterday. Two in one week - I will definitely have to go on a diet.


We ate dainty sandwiches ...


... and drank a few gallons of tea, while conversing with friends.


I'm full now.

7 comments:

  1. Oh dear Mum, I'm trying hard to resist the temptation of chocolate. I might have to give in :o) Love the tablecloth, well there's my sandwiches, what are the rest of you going to have ;O)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Mum x
    Glad you enjoyed your tea party
    Love Debbie x

    ReplyDelete
  3. ooohh that cake looks delicious and my mouth is now watering. What a lovely tea party and that car teapot how sweet is that ;-) Have a lovely weekend, dee xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. oooooooh chocolate and cake - my fave combo, looks scrumptious! Scarlett x

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's good to see that the cake is nice and healthy, might try a version of it soon.

    Such lovely china at your tea party, I'm quite envious.

    Have a lovely weekend.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a quirky teapot. I might have to give in to temptation and make the tray bake.

    ReplyDelete
  7. wow what a fabulous cake. I will have to jog on the spot while I make it to burn some extra calories though!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments. it's always exciting reading them.