Tuesday 1 November 2011

It's here - Mum's Vintage Tea Party

Hello, lovely to see you all in all your finery.



 Please do come in and enjoy yourselves. I'm sure you've met the rest of our guests. If not let me introduce you.

Anne

Anne

Sft

dreamer

Frugal Down Under

Christine (Sorry but Christine's brilliant contribution is no longer online.)

Rainbowchild

Catherine

Claire

(I do hope everybody's here. Please excuse me if I've not introduced you.)

Would you like a cup of tea? Would anyone like to 'do the honours'?

This is a dolls' tea-set. It might not hold enough tea for you.

Please enjoy the scones and sandwiches.


Yes, lovely tableclothes aren't they? It took an age to iron them.




The detailing is divine. Not too keen on tea? Would you prefer something a little stronger, perhaps?



To finish off do have a little piece of the cake. It's delicious. Hope you've found something to take your fancy. This one's a Lime and Raspberry traybake.


You may need a spoon to eat it. It's rather crumbly.  Here's the recipe. It's from Country Living magazine 2007.

Raspberry and Lime Coconut Squares
100g (4 oz) butter
200g (7 oz) sr flour
50g (2 oz) caster sugar
2 medium egg yolks
zest and juice of 1 lime
150g (5 oz) rasberry jam
icing sugar to dust
Topping
3 egg whites
100g (4 oz) caster sugar
zest of 1 lime
125g (4 1/2 oz) desiccated coconut
20cm (8 inch) square baking tin

1. Whizz the butter, flour, sugar, egg yolks and the lime zest and juice in a food processor.
2. Gather into a soft dough and press evenly into the base of the baking tin, then spread the raspberry jam on top. ( I used damson jam.)
3. In a clean bowl whisk the egg whites to soft peaks and fold in the caster sugar, zest and coconut.
4. Spread the mixture on top of the jam.
5. Bake in a pre-heated oven for 25 minutes - 180 degrees C or 160 degrees C for a fan oven. Leave to cool in the tin then cut into squares. I made 16 squares.


Oh yes, there's biscuits, too. Would you care for a chocolate one. These were practice cookies for Christmas presents. Here's the recipe. It makes between 30 to 40 cookies. I put raisins in instead of nuts and they tasted just fine.


And these ones are shortbread, very buttery! More Christmas gifts with these I think. Because they freeze well I can make them in advance. I got the recipe from this blog.


The table decorations are fabulous aren't they? This one's an Autumnal theme.


And don't you just love the flowers.



Please stay awhile, visit and comment on our guests' blogs. They may not be in until later in the day so don't worry if they are not there now. Hope you find something of interest. I'll be popping by at 6.30ish this evening (GMT) to chat to anyone who's around. Please say 'hello' even if you are just passing. Take care, if I don't see you and I do hope you've enjoyed your visit. Until the next time -
xx

The cat stayed out of the way all this time - he's
a good boy!

24 comments:

  1. Hello Mum..my last comment didn't seem to send properly. I am joining in today & have just posted here: http://anangelinthegarden.blogspot.com/2011/11/date-square-and-earl-came-to-teawith.html I'll pop back again soon. Love Catherine x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Catherine, welcome. Your garden is beautiful and your tea party exquisite. I'm so glad you came over to play.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Mum, you are so organised, my link won't be ready until about 7pm tonight!-could you make a note of that!

    Thanks

    Sft x

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've just posted my tea party post. I had so much fun and it looks like you did too.
    Anne xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. aahhh what a lovely post and such a great idea ;-) I will pop back again later and check the other ladies out as i have to get off to work now. Have a lovely day. dee xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've joined in too Mum, but with a poor offering! I do have a rather nice pot of tea, but I think there's paint on it....
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those raspberry and lime coconut squares look delicious, I don't mind if I do. I might have to try making these myself. What a cute little dolls tea set and your tablecloth is so pretty. Nice to see your cats in on the act too, such beauties.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sorry I couldn't come any earlier, I had to pop out and fetch another cat in. Bobo is a big fluffy boy who's owner has had to go into a care home. He is gorgeous, the cat not the owner, ha ha.

    Do you have any fruit tea by any chance, I just love strawberry or raspberry. I'll have one of those shortbreads, I love it when they melt in your mouth.

    I'll pop back later, a few jobs to do. Toodle pip.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gosh, I'm having such fun. Sft, don't worry we'll wait for you. So glad you've popped by Delia, so many delicious posts. Hi Dina - would you like a cup of tea? Jo, make yourself at home. There's another cat here who needs stroking. Nazca - naughty, naughty! You must say 'Please may I' but we'll forgive you this time.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi, Iona, feel free to eat as much as you like. We may have fruit tea later for you. Hope the jobs don't take too long, we'll wait for you. Some guests won't be here until later this evening. See you anon.
    xx
    PS Give Bobo a stroke from me.

    ReplyDelete
  11. About to go on the school run but..... sneakily looks round, goes on tippy toes, creeps in and pinches a biccy and a cat!!!

    Love the tea party
    Helen x

    ReplyDelete
  12. Come on over everyone. My door is open and the toys are ready to entertain. Babuska 1, 2 an 3 can do party tricks and multiply not only the chocolate biscuits but themselves too :-)

    I'll just grab another of your scones Mum before I head out your door. I'm always on the run from here to there, it's part of my unplanned hurried life.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Looking forward to lots of tea when I visit all those lovely blogs!
    Liz @ Shortbread & Ginger

    ReplyDelete
  14. I just popped in to see how it's going.It's wonderful!What fun you are all having.I've been so busy,I wish I was better prepared, although I did make chocolate chip cookies today.I'm just going to try a piece of your shortbread before I go.....could I take one for Hubby? I'll try and pop back later.
    Love Debbie x

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Liz, glad you could make it. Please enjoy. There's plenty of food and tea to go round. Debbie, I'll swap a scone for one of your cookies. Please take whatever you wish for Hubby. There's only one cat left though!! See you later if you're around.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  16. I've got plenty of cocktails and cucumber sandwiches, if anyone would like something stronger!

    I feel a bit stuffed now though, after visiting so many people and eating so much!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Let it rest for a bit and then we'll go round again! Mind you, if you have too many cocktails you might not be in a fit state to do your garden tomorrow.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a lovey idea - thanks for the invite. Your cats are GORGEOUS.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Sorry I'm late, thank you for saving me some cake :)) x

    ReplyDelete
  20. Phew, made it back, am I too late? Is there any of those choccy bikkies left? Looks like a good turn out Mum, I'm glad I came. I'm off to read a few blogs before bedibyes.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Everything looks lovely mum :) I'll have to try the recipes too, the coconut ones look delicious.
    Hope the cats enjoyed your tea party too :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. The shortcake looks amazing, it's one of my favourite treats, and one of the things I love to bake! Em x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments. it's always exciting reading them.